Baildon is 5 miles north of
Until the start of the 20th century, only a few tiny hamlets at Lane Ends, Baildon Green, Low Baildon and a few isolated houses occupied the hillside between the village and the river, just above which a turnpike road from Shipley towards Otley was built in the 1820s.
Even the opening in 1876 of a Baildon railway station mid-way up that hillside on a new branch connecting lines at Guiseley and Shipley did not make an immediate difference. But by the end of the Victorian era, a huge expansion of population connected with the local textile industry led to the building of housing which continued to develop all the way from Baildon Wood Bottom up the hillside to the village centre and from there on to the top of Baildon Bank.
More recent house-building means there are very few remaining gaps on the hillside, and one of Baildon's most historic buildings, Baildon Hall, is now surrounded by homes in its role since 1946 as a private members' club. The hall was built in 1553 and encased in stone in the late 17th century. For many years it was the home of the Baildon family and was built on the site of a medieval manor, of which there are still traces.
Beyond the village, at the top of the hill, Baildon Common still remains a gateway to the huge expanse of moorland beyond, its ancient remains added to by many other activities over the years, including traces of old coal pits and quarrying and also, since the 1890s, a golf course.
Such has been the expansion of Baildon that it now deems itself a town, this being officially recognised when the Baildon Parish Council renamed itself Baildon Town Council in 2013.
Baildon has local traders and a supermarket.
Baildon holds occasional outdoor markets - Farmers Market usually held 4th Saturday in month (not January, earlier date in December).
The town has Post Offices.
The town has pharmacies.
The town has pubs and social clubs.
Restaurant and bistro dining can be found in Baildon.
A choice of cafes can be found in Baildon.
Takeaway food outlets in the town include fish and chips, chinese, curries, pizzas.
There are public toilets in the town with limited hours of use - at Northgate (Daylight hours).
The town has a library - at Hallcliffe.
The town has a sports hall - Baildon Recreation Centre at Green Lane.
Baildon has schools.
Places of worship: Anglican, Catholic, Methodist, other.
Bus travelThe town has bus services to neighbouring towns and villages and city centre.
Baildon stationManaged by: Northern
Operator/s: Northern -
Northern - Baildon Station and departure information at Northern website.
Road travelBaildon can be reached via the A6038 B6151
Places to visit
About 4 miles north-north-west of Bradford,
East Riddlesden Hall
The attractive 17th century home of a cloth merchant includes an array of needlework from the era. The house is set in colourful and peaceful gardens with an outdoor discovery garden and children's play area. The property, around 1.5 miles to the north-east of
Find out more at the
Locate on map:
Keighley and Worth Valley RailwayKeighley Station and stations along the Worth Valley
The earliest of Yorkshire's
Find out more at the
HaworthHaworth, around 4 miles south of
Otley Chevin Country Park
The Otley Chevin Country Park is a forested hillside with rocky outcrops offering magnificent views across Otley and the Wharfe Valley, a network of paths to explore, a variety of wildlife and some interesting tree sculptures. The Chevin is an area with strong evidence of hunting in the stone age with thousands of flint arrowheads and knives having been found there. Cup and ring marked rocks dating from the bronze age are scheduled ancient monuments. Two areas of an iron age settlement were discovered in the 1960s and an archaelogical dig in the 1990s found evidence of a hut circle within a rubble enclosure. Much of the forestry in the area was planted in the 1950s and 1960s and it became a local nature reserve in 1989. There are car parks with access to the country park at East Chevin Road and Yorkgate.
Further information can be found at the
Emergency servicesWest Yorkshire Police
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Civil parish councilBaildon Town Council
Provides some local services in the area.
Link to council website
Metropolitan district council
City of Bradford
The City of Bradford authority covers an area extending many miles beyond the city itself, including areas of moorland of The Pennines and Ilkley Moor, parts of Wharfedale and Airedale and the Worth Valley.
The area includes many separate small towns and villages, among them
Councillors are elected across 30 wards with three councillors per ward.
One councillor per ward is elected for a four-year term on each of three years out of four.
The political composition after the May 2019 election is:
County strategic authority
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
Covers some combined services of the five metropolitan district councils of West Yorkshire - Bradford, Calderdale, Leeds, Kirklees and Wakefield - which were at one time provided by a West Yorkshire metropolitan county council, with the addition of the non-contiguous City of York council and unelected Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership.
Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Commissioner for West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire Fire Authority
The fire authority is made up of elected members of each of the five metropolitan district councils of West Yorkshire - Bradford, Calderdale, Leeds, Kirklees and Wakefield.
-1974 Within the West Riding of Yorkshire.